Experiential Art Therapy retreat on building resilience – and preventing/reducing burnout in aid-workers.Neochori – Lefkada Island 26-30/07/17
This summer AMAKA offers a unique retreat special targeting Humanitarian Aid workers, offering them some time off work and stress. The heroic image of humanitarians often conveyed by the media, shows men and women helping survivors of catastrophes and tragic wars. There is a sort of mythical rhetoric around the frontline professionals that prevents us from seeing their humanity, and the needs that go along with that humanity.
Workers in assistance professions are often under-appreciated, over-burdened and expected to be empathetic at all costs: laying the groundwork for burnout and compassion fatigue.
Aid workers operate in harsh environments and find themselves in the most unimaginable of situations, witnessing human suffering. Due to the intensive emotional labor of their jobs they are at a high risk for job burnout.
The workshop aims to:
- Enhance self-awareness and embody a healthier approach to “doing good” in the world.
- Increase ability of emotional expression and regulation
- Lower incidences of future burnout
- Increase perception of professional efficacy
- Promote self-care
- Improve energy levels, and help feel more relaxed, and focused
- Facilitate meaning making processes.
- Encourage communication
- Build professional relationships.
Modules to be covered through the retreat:
– Letting go of Stress
– Exploring the Creative Process
– Exploring Communicating through Art
– Using the Arts to Relax, Relearn and Revitalize: Art making through Guided Imagery
-Your Professional Journey: Crossroads, Obstacles and Detours
– Creating a Personal Treasure Map: Developing Goals and Desires
– How to Cope with Transitions and Changes
– Self-Circles: How to Avoid Going around in Circles
– Motivate yourself Creatively
– Creative Problem Solving Techniques
– The Art of Avoiding Burnout
– Creative Techniques to Enhance Team Building
– The Art of Letting Go
– Border Patrol: recognising our Boundaries
– Building self-awareness and thinking skills
At the end of the workshop participants will be provided with theoretical material for burnout relief techniques and recipes to tame stress.
Join us and nurture your soul through mindfulness and creativity!
*Complete confidentiality is maintained in these sessions for all participants.
*The program can be designed on demand and take place on different dates and/or locations for groups of 6 and more.
The workshop will take place in a quite mountainous picturesque village on the island of Lefkada in an old restored stone mansion offering the perfect setting for relaxation and contemplation, 10 minutes drive from the island’s most beautiful beaches.
We are able to offer pick up and transport services on demand. The island of Lefkada is easilly accessible by road from Athens or Thessaloniki, (4 hours drive) as its an island connected with the mainland via a bridge. There are daily busses connecting the island with all the major towns in Greece. Check out the schedule at http://www.ktel-lefkadas.gr/.
The island is also connected with major European cities via the international Aktion airport
The food offered will be vegetarian with local organic products, lots of fresh vegetables and fruits. The dietary plan will be careful designed by the www.foodpath.gr collaborative, containing foods that can help tame stress in various ways. The foodpath team on site will be glad to give advice on easy changes we can make in our diet to promote well-being and share recipes with the participants.
Prices: 500 euros per person
What’s included: accommodation in a shared studio with: kitchenette, air condition, private bathroom, mountain view, all teachings and materials, all meals and local transport. (private rooms are also available for an extra cost of 50 euros per workshop)
What’s not included: Transfer to and from Lefkada
Wednesday: Arrival and Welcome Dinner at 20.00
Thursday- Friday – Saturday:
9:00-9:30 Mindfulness Yoga,
10.30-13.30: Experiential Art Therapy,
13:30-14:30: Lunch (Stress-Busting Foods)
14.30-18.00: Free time for swimming, relaxing, contemplating
18:00-20.00: Experimental Art Therapy, Practice and Theory
20:00-21:00 Dinner (Tame Stress with food )
21.00-21.30: Optional mindfulness meditation
9:00-9:30 Mindfulness Yoga
10.30-14.00: Herbal Collecting walk and Hiking
14.00- : Ceremonial Closure and festive lunch